i-G.Drummond

Remove Downpour from map circulation?

Hey Guys, 

So this is coincidentally a little bit similar to the previous post, but what are people's view on the map 'Downpour'? Everyone I've seen playing on it or spoken to dislikes it - as do I. 

The ambience is so dark and gloomy, it's hard to see players through the mist and the rain. It's also quite hard to hear sometimes, due to the rain and thunder...

It might work as a non-high jump map, but certainly - in my opinion - doesn't as a high-jump map.

I certainly don't feel that it would be particularly detrimental to the gameplay if it was taken out; all the other maps are great and I don't think it would be missed much!

I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks about it...

Drummond

I believe Downpour is an unpopular map.  A number of people tend to leave when it comes on, but the same can be said of Block.

I think the under map sections can cause a problem here - but other maps also suffer from this.  The lack of long range vision piss off some of the long range sniper types, but I believe having the odd map unsuitable for a single play style is not excessive.  I think the numerous camp spots can make the map a challenge for the unfamiliar players struggling to survive, but many maps suffer the same issue.

I believe the map is ok, I personally quite like it; because it has a nice mix of potentially successful strategies available.  It's not just a sniping campers map, but you can do that; it's not just for noob tubers, but you can do that; it's not just for run and stun, but that can be done.  Essentially it caters for a lot of play styles, without allowing any particular one to dominate.

Downpour may be one of the better balanced maps in the game.

Crash - probably the fairest and best balanced map in the game.  Winter crash is just dark and dreary.

Bog - very biased towards camping out of map and sniping from almost invincible locations, although you can get out of map easily and from many locations.

Countdown - same issues as Bog, but also has really poor concealment for those that stay inside the map.

Block - has long straights to snipe along, and lots of hiding places to camp.  Widely disliked  / hated map, but some love it.

Ambush - can only get out of map in one spawn area - quite unbalanced

Vacant - same problems as Ambush with the unbalanced out of map locations, but also same problems as Bog with invincibility.  Also the roof vents are too numerous, and too easy to abuse.  Has to be the most unbalanced map in the game, also one of my favorites :/ go figure.

Killhouse - another quite hated map, also often loved and requested by many others.  Probably because it really supports the noob tube / vip nade spamming strategies.  But it can be a lot of fun just to use a pistol on - even when no-one else is doing that.  I generally enjoy this map - even when I am getting thrashed.

Creek - disliked map - because many don't like the outdoor maps

Overgrown - supports a range of strategies I guess - but still mainly for snipers due to the high-jump.

Strike - another map poorly balanced for out of map locations.

Crossfire - long parallels again supports the sniping, but other strategies can be successful too.  Somewhat balanced out of map locations.

Broadcast - probably suits the indoors rapid fire types best, but plenty of snipe potential too.  Pretty good fair map.

Pipeline - the tunnels probably suit the rapid-fires, and lots for the snipers as well.  Pretty well balanced map.

Backlot - pretty well balanced map

District - very unbalanced out of map locations, and the fiercest battles often occur in the infamous purple room.  I generally enjoy the city maps, but rarely have fun on this map.

Chinatown - unbalanced for out of map - but rarely causes a problem.  Disliked map - not sure why, perhaps because it doesn't support snipers so well, maybe because there's too many hidey-holes.

Showdown - similar issues to bog, and way to many hiding spots.  Can be a lot of fun if you have the right opponents and teammates.  Not my favorite map however.

Not in rotation maps:

Shipment - yep we all know it's too small for a full server, but damn it can be fun on occasion.

WetWork - has rain, and very long narrow parallels, ok but predictable hiding spots, and does not support high jump well.  But I almost always have fun on this map - just cause you very rarely get to play it on Ninja servers.  I can see why many dislike it however.

Did I forget any map?  

Doesn't really matter, but I like having lots of maps in the rotation - it adds to the variety.  Although there is some I choose not to play (typically), I think they all have some aspects I really enjoy, and some I dislike.  I wouldn't rank any map a 10 and I would rank any of them a 1 either.

• Like 5

The more variety, the better in my opinion.  Sure there will be maps that are liked more than others but I think they all have their place.  Perhaps the thing to do is cut the time down to 15 minutes (I believe the current time for each map is 18 or 20) so that they cycle faster.

On another note, Downpour does seem to attract the under map people to misbehave but that is why the admins are around.

Downpour is fun for me since it allows me to do my Seytionbasi impression and knife people more easily!

• Like 5

Some like this map - some rather not, some even go out of the game because they do not like the map at all. But this happens not only in Downpour, but also in other maps. It's just a matter of taste, of course ...
To be honest, I also felt that downpour might be superfluous in map circulation. I do not really like this map either. On the other hand - leaving only the maps in the circulation that are the most popular, it's similar to a favorite dish ... if you have them too often, you'll eventually get tired of them ... though it does the "favorite dish" was ... I think you know what I mean. So I'm with i-G.Charlie - the more variety - the better ...
I had once played on a server where many maps from other COD variants were adapted to COD4. There were also maps from WAW. Could something like that also work with us? Of course, with low gravity ...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, i-G.leon said:

I had once played on a server where many maps from other COD variants were adapted to COD4. There were also maps from WAW. Could something like that also work with us? Of course, with low gravity ...

I think the difficulty with Ninja gaming is that the maps are not quite as stock standard as they may appear.  I believe they have special modifications allowing for the high jump including permitting and blocking certain areas of egress, and undermap.

Also where you have non-stock maps, first time players would need to actually download the map.  This can happen automatically within the game, but is an additional consideration.

I believe Ninja Gaming TDM may one have included the Nuketown map, but it was before my time on here.

What I would quite like to see is a Ninja Dev / Tournament server.  It could be password protected to keep it invite only - so it ought to be low maintenance (in terms of hackers).  But it could be used for testing stuff like new automatic death spots (banned locations), additional egress points for certain unbalanced maps, trialing of new maps, different hack protections, swear word filters etc etc.  Anything not yet ready to throw at the live servers, perhaps permit map voting, and even game play voting so ordinary users can test thing on there too. I know the voting got widely abused on the Australian Ninja Gaming servers, with a small section of the community voting to repeat the S&D game modes over and over gain.  But with a password protected / invite only server - this becomes less of a problem. 

And of course occasional competitions and tournaments to keep things spicy (in between development work).  Maybe a nice bot style spectator to record every tournament player for keen spectators to watch the results after the fact.  And then publish the results - I'm guessing would could almost apply for a gambling license a make a profit out of such a thing ;) (really just joking about the gambling bit), but I think it would generate a lot of interest having regular tournament events.  To keep it fair and fun, players could apply to play in the tournament and give a quick spiel about themselves.  Then all other forum members can cast votes for who they want to see play in the tournament.  Maybe have VIP for a month or two on offer for the tournament champion and runner-ups perhaps, and even a VIP for a random participant in the tournament, and perhaps a months VIP for a random member that voted for the tournament champion.  Keep it interesting with a reward system.

Of course I understand this is a lot more work than it might sound, and hosting is not a cheap prospect for a rarely used server; but I really think this would be a lot of fun to have access to and tinker with other game modes and maps etc.

6 hours ago, i-G.Charlie said:

Perhaps the thing to do is cut the time down to 15 minutes (I believe the current time for each map is 18 or 20) so that they cycle faster.

I believe i-G.Charlie may be onto something here as well.  20 minutes seems just a tad long to me sometimes.  I think 15 minutes may be worth a go, and should be a relatively easy configuration change for TDM if other people agree to it.

• Like 5

I do not know if my opinion would be good, since I comply with my prohibition, but I will give it.
When I was playing on the servers, I saw that many people were leaving when they touched the map, because it said "Drummod", the map is very dark and the fog and rain do not see the other players.
In another case, they could remove it and place the map that was one of my favorites. The Christmas version of "Crash" is an excellent map.
Well, I think you did not mind my opinion, but I already told you.

• Like 1

i can see the other players but not as easily as killhouse. i still like all the maps, and as @brando___cuenca pointed out the winter crash map that hasn't yet been used even though it is an actual map. i do also want to say where did shipment go, it was my favorite map and still is and i think other players miss the map as well as I. Back to the original point of this topic, i think you guys should shorten the map time to like 15-16 mins rather the usual 18 mins or so. and bloc is a map built for snipers and campers not so much people that like to full send. last but not least creek, i do like creek cuz you can hide and sometimes people wont even know your there unless they look around and see you name tag or you move. I say keep all three maps but maybe just shorten them a few mins or so. 

DILLY/FaZe Tide

Edited by Faze tide

winter crash is not needed as we already have a crash map and it better for seeing.

Shipment is too small for TDM, especially when you have 20+ players on at a time.

Downpour was put on as a trial as were some of the other maps to gauge what players thought of those maps.

As for shortening the time, those who so love their nukes will struggle to achieve it (which will make me happy as I will survive LOL)

7 hours ago, i-G.Eragon85 said:

As for shortening the time, those who so love their nukes will struggle to achieve it (which will make me happy as I will survive LOL)

True but I say let shorten the time a bit for the good of the many perhaps at the expense of a very few (myself not included since I have achieved very few nukes)

8 hours ago, i-G.Eragon85 said:

10 min rounds on WaW, nukes still happen, makes it more of a challenge ;)

(Round times need upping on waw to 15mins)

I love maps like this.  Mainly cause it looks great.  Love seeing the rain etc.  not being able to see, well that is for all players.  Also stop leaving then and play so you can learn where players can go.   

I agree that variety is great to have.  But would be nice maybe to have some of the more popular maps show up more often which I think was suggested in another post. 

There are maps I am not fond of that others love and if on I play.  

• Like 2

I would also like to add: that there is exactly 18 maps in the rotation, and maps last 20 minutes (if not manually changed or exit early from all players leaving), plus about a minute for credits and map changes.  

So in 1 hour, you get 3 map changes (roughly).

In around 6 hours, you get a full map rotation.

In 24 hours, you get 4 map rotations, but your are back to the exact same map you were at 24 hours ago.  So any player that comes on the same time every night, for an hour, probably plays the same 3-4 maps they played the night before.. and the night before that. o.O  Surely I am not the only one to have noticed this lack of variety?

I like all the maps, and I do not really want any to be removed.  But I think without a change in map order, and/or duration of rounds this equation is slightly stagnant.

Perhaps we could mix it up a little.

How about a map rotation that includes two of each map, but only only of each one that many people have indicated they don't like.  For example:

Creek,Killhouse,Showdown,Ambush,          Crash,Countdown,Bog,Pipeline,Crossfire,Downpour,Vacant,Chinatown,Strike,Overgrown,District,Backlot,Broadcast,

Killhouse,Showdown,Ambush,Block,Crash,Countdown,Bog,Pipeline,Crossfire,                 Vacant,Chinatown,Strike,Overgrown,District,Backlot,Broadcast

A total of 34 maps (still only 18 unique maps), which means the maps will drift out of sync each day by an hour or so, and you still get to play every single map at least twice a day.  You could even substitute the second Crash for Winter Crash if anyone is keen.

Edited by TheMoment
  • Like 2

Sorry counted wrong and submitted to quick - actually 33 maps (which still put the rotation squarely within the hour mark.  If you additionally made each round 18 minutes perhaps it mixes things up faster, and breaks up that schedule a bit (1 hour = 3 maps)

• Like 1

TheMoment, you are spending way too much time and thought on this...LOL!

Seriously, I say keep it simple...cut the time to 15 minutes (20 is just too much) and break up the sizes of the maps (countdown does not need to be followed by bog for example)

Can we get a consensus opinion on this so we may proceed with making the changes?  Let's use Robert's Rule of Order.  I make a motion to adopt the above suggestion...all in favor and opposed?

Edited by i-G.Charlie

I agree that we should cute the time to 15 mins (providing Ninjaman is able to do this) and mix the maps so that a large one follow by a small one etc.

Not sure about removing maps or adding maps, but let start with the time changes and rotation changes and go from there.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, i-G.Charlie said:

TheMoment, you are spending way too much time and thought on this...LOL!

lol, you think that is bad, he is worst when trying to get things done at home, he has to think so much before he makes a start ?

Downpour is a great map, not much highjump like said but still.

Shipment would be complete chaos if added, way too small map, i would quit everytime as it begins.

I think 20min is good duration for Mw, 2-3 chances to get nuke :D What comes to WaW, i would add maybe 5 min there.

I dont mind so much about order of map rotation, new maps would be great but like there been said time ago, not suitable for highjump...

I play COD4 since 2008 and i only dislike  winter crash which is useless.

Variety is important cause i use appropriate weapon according to each map.

Could be great to extend strike area out of map for killing hard camper (Bog for example) but dunno if its possible.

• Like 3

I like the map rotation as it is, I just have an opinion on those certain maps. The time works for me and I like 90% of the maps. I think the rotation is pretty well structured. 

• Like 4

O.K. It doesn't seem like anyone wants to say this about Downpour, but I will. I have played it several times and now I am noticing that my Gold AK47 has started to rust. I didn't clean it for a few days after playing, but still, that shouldn't be happening. I checked my Remington 700 and it also had rust building up around the scope clamps. Now I know to clean my weapons "immediately" after the game.

I have noticed that I am more sickly now since you added Downpour to the line. My doctor has recommended that I just opt out when Downpour comes up. After running a high fever last week, I now know to sit it out with the other spectators while Downpour is running.

Let's not even get into the mud destroying my shoes.

No, not my favorite map.

Greenhouse_Downpour_CoD4 (1).jpg

• Haha 2