CoD++

Request For Rule Clarification

Rules have changed since I was an active member of the community.
I've had a look through THIS post and it seems what I'm asking to do isn't against the rules anymore.
I want to know if elevators are allowed to be used in-game; they never were in the past as they fell under the ''no glitching'' rule but again THIS post seems to imply that rule has been rescinded.
The most closely related rule I can see is ''...without hacks of any kind...'', however elevators are a function of the games mechanics and do not require scripts or any additional tweaks to pull off.

If they aren't allowed, perhaps the ''no glitch'' rule should be re-instated to clarify that fact.
If they are allowed, then awesome, and thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

• Like 1

Heya CoD++

I created some instructions some months back about getting out of the map on Crash (please have a read - you may even learn something from it, but I doubt it):

https://ninja-gaming.ninja/index.php?/topic/2109-getting-out-of-the-map-on-crash/

Several times I referred to this functionality as a glitch, and put it into the CoD4 bugs and glitches section of the forum.  It has been read by a few of the admins, and none have suggested that I am breaking the rules.  I have used this a few times even when admins are on, and have made no secret of how it can be done.

I managed to work out the crouch elevators, but not the jump elevators as you seem to be using.  I believe the jump elevators require you to jump up, then quickly crouch so you take up less height, and then stand up again when at the top of your jump, such that you are inside the actual leaf of the wall.  I have just not found out any way to tell when you are in the exact right position to activate the glitch.

I would be interested to know how you do it; because I believe you can get out of many more maps on CoD4, including Broadcast, Overgrown and possibly Creek, but these may require the jump activated elevators.  On high jump servers, you can reach many more potential glitch spots.  Probably would not work on Shipment - so small; probably not Wet Work - nowhere to go except to drown, and maybe not block - it has elevators, but you still cannot get out because the buildings are so high;  but who knows - there's lots to be explored.

Would you care to share your secrets regarding finding and activating the jump elevators?  Perhaps even as a reply to my original Crash elevator explanation post (to keep it all together), and we can both await a verdict regarding whether this is actually "legal".

I think if it is deemed legal, then we need to make it public knowledge how to do such a thing - simply out of fairness.

If it is not legal, I will definitely stop doing it.  It would be a shame though, because it's a lot of fun.

I remember 3-4 years ago, when players constantly left crash, but i never figured out hiw they did it.... Did NNj change the access from that map, or has that always been the way out of that map?

There are a number of different ways out of that map, but very few people knows how and where to get out.  NNJ showed me a few places but I have never been able to grasp it.

But the question is, is this class as a glitch and is it allowed.  I don't want to reveal anything in case this is not allowed.

Interesting subject. I personally feel that as long as players can be killed whilst in or going to those locations it should be ok. I am however, as always, open to other view points.

• Like 1

When elevating, you are in full view of everyone in the map and can be killed easily before you get the chance to touch down on the ground out of map.

It even takes time to get into the correct spot to elevate, opening up chances of being killed before you even starts.

Indeed a very interesting topic.
I was wondering if some elevators are only possible with certain 'VIP' jump height settings like in 'China Town'.
If I'm not mistaken, you need a minimum of 'FPS' like in Crash as @TheMoment explained me once to get it work. 
My actual question is this; Is it fair when only a few people can go out of certain maps if it can only be done with some settings and or VIP powers?

7 hours ago, TheMoment said:

I think if it is deemed legal, then we need to make it public knowledge how to do such a thing - simply out of fairness.

I completely agree on that one!e

i-G.Jasper

2 hours ago, i-G.Jasper said:

I was wondering if some elevators are only possible with certain 'VIP' jump height settings like in 'China Town'.

The elevators I know how to do on Crash are a crouch elevator.  They do not use the jump at all, and so the VIP Jump Height is not a factor.  I am currently not a VIP and can perform ok.  They can also be performed on non-high-jump servers; they are actually a glitch in the CoD4 game mechanics because of their basis on the Quake physics engine. 

I have also seen by Mr Wendel that there are jump elevators on the China Town map that also allow you to escape without the need for VIP.

3 hours ago, i-G.Jasper said:

If I'm not mistaken, you need a minimum of 'FPS' like in Crash as @TheMoment explained me once to get it work

The higher FPS does two helpful things when trying to use the crouch elevator:

1. It becomes easier to find the actual location whereby you are inside the wall by using bind statements to perform your movements when combined with the Wait command.  This is because the Wait command in a bind pauses the execution of the bind for a period defined by the FPS (a number of frames), instead of a time in milliseconds.  This means that your movements in CoD4 are smaller, which makes it easier to not miss the exact location you need to get to.
  2. The higher the FPS, the faster the elevator makes you rise up.  Hence the less time you are up in the air; very exposed and vulnerable to being killed.

The elevators can be performed at any FPS.  I actually discovered them at 90 FPS, but have performed them at 60, and even tried seeing how slowly they operate at 10 FPS (painful).

The elevators also do not require the binds.  They can be performed just using the normal CoD4 keys - by pressing normal movement keys on the keyboard.  The binds simply make it easier to find the exact spot by trial and error - especially for people unfamiliar with the elevators.

Vacant is a difficult map to escape from, unless you know where and how, as is Ambush (Convoy), and even Strike.  But knowledge is a form of power; people in the know have an advantage over those that do not.  This is why I believe we should keep the playing field as level as possible - if the elevators are deemed a legal maneuver.

8 hours ago, i-G.Sitting Duck said:

I personally feel that as long as players can be killed whilst in or going to those locations it should be ok.

i-G.Sitting Duck

I have tested a few locations outside of crash, including one that looks suspiciously like it may be "under map", and I was able to be killed there.  There is one "secret" location inside a building you can normally not get into - whereby you cannot be shot from outside (the walls block the shots), but whilst in the location, you also cannot shoot out.  The walls actually block the vision out too; you can see through the windows, but cannot shoot people through them.  You can still be killed by a grenade whilst there if someone can bounce one inside.

Almost every time I have escaped the map, someone has eventually found and managed to kill me.

• Like 2

Elevators can be performed on Mac or PC, by any player, at any FPS, with or without binds, without any modification or additional files required to the standard game, even on a vanilla CoD4 server, and regardless of your ping times.

Having said that, they are an unintentional glitch in the game mechanics, and considered illegal on many public CoD4 servers. There-again escaping the map at all on most non-high jump servers would be considered illegal too - but in many cases it can be done - even without elevators.

I think whatever your final verdict is regarding this, it may be worth having a clarification in rule number 6, and even a separate post / FAQ for what constitutes an undermap / illegal location, maybe even a few pictures of some locations you are not permitted in such as on Backlot, Ambush (Convoy) and Downpour.

• Like 2

Getting out of map on chinatown doesn't require VIP jump, it requires 250 fps. Anyone who can get 250 fps or more can do it easily.

i use 500 for elevators because you are able to move more precisely and you elevate faster than 250 or 333.

if you know how to perform an elevator, you see opportunities all over the place and I personally feel as though telling people I used an elevator should be enough info, although I would usually be happy to tell you where I did it too.